Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Serious Boo Boo


We had our family bonfire on Saturday and it ended up being a great event. The weather was overcast and nasty all day, but the rain held off....until about an hour before it started. We set up a big tent, put the food under it, and forged ahead. It didn't rain hard, just light rain that didn't stop us from roasting hot dogs and marshmallows. We enjoyed fellowship with family, great food, and were settling in around the fire to enjoy the evening when my sister-in-law's phone rang. She answered and told her husband that she was standing outside, and asked why he was calling her. Then she told us that Liam was hurt and we needed to go inside.

I ran into the house and saw him screaming and crying on my mother-in-law's lap. She had a bloody rag on his head and showed me a cut that looked really bad. I screamed for my mom and then we scrambled around trying to figure out what to do next. There was talk about finding a 24 hour clinic instead of the ER, but nothing seemed to be open. I changed my shoes and got Peyton settled and we took off for the ER, which is about a 30 minute drive from the family farm. By the time we arrived his cut had stopped bleeding so we signed in and waited. The entire visit was only about 2 hours long, but it always feels like an eternity.

Liam fell asleep while we were waiting and didn't flinch when I peeled his band-aid off for the nurse to take a look. He said Liam would need stitches, but that it was a clean wound. He stayed asleep while the physician's assistant examined him and told us that she could use Dermabond, a superglue for the skin, instead of stitches. Liam woke up while she was cleaning the wound and screamed and cried and yelled ouch. We had to hold him down and I finally couldn't take it and had to walk away. I hate to see my kids hurting and just couldn't be the one holding him down. She tried the glue once and the cut kept bleeding so she had to peel it off and try again. She got it closed the second time, but the blood and glue mixed and look like a smashed berry on his head.

He has been asking to keep a band-aid on it and doesn't want his friends to touch his "dermabond." Mark was teasing me that Liam's modeling career would be safe. I told Mark that I'm done for a while. Two ER trips in two months is enough!

No comments: