Monday, January 12, 2009

"Beat your family up"

"Beat your family up" is a quote from Elizabeth George. I am currently doing a 10 week Bible study that is based on her book, "A Woman After God's Own Heart." She suggests spending early time in prayer and Bible study. I am NOT a morning person, not at all. In fact, I have been known to be incredibly cranky and ugly first thing in the morning. I heard her suggestion and promptly ignored it. I figured as long as I was doing my Bible study sometime during the day, well that was good enough. I had been spending the kid's rest time reading and praying, but one ear was always listening for the kids.

SO after feeling convicted and thinking a lot about "beating my family up" in the morning, I decided to give it a try. I got up early Friday and spent some time in prayer and Bible study and it was great. Yes, I was tired and yes, I wasn't particularly thrilled when my alarm went off, but it was such a peaceful and calm way to start my day and I noticed that the day went better. So as much as I hate getting up, I am going to try to make this a daily appointment that I can't miss. I don't think I'll beat myself up if I miss once in a while, but if I can focus on going to bed a bit earlier than 11 or midnight, then I think I can make this last!

No comments: